Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

Spring is officially here and not a day too soon! If you haven't started riding yet, get your bike out of winter storage and get moving. It is time to shake off those winter blahs and get in the sunshine once again.

With the beginning of our ride season starting again, let me remind everyone to ride SAFE, ride defensive, ride as though the driver coming up behind you , beside you, toward you does NOT see you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, most drivers are unaware of the 3ft law in TN or they don't care about it. While bike laws are up for discussion and debate all the time, I am reminded of one of the most important pieces of advice I have ever been given, "You can only control yourself". Put it on a post card and tape it to the top tube of your bike, plaster it to your helmet, whatever you need to do to remind yourself who is in control. No matter what laws are passed, what roads we are given the freedom to ride, you can not control the person in the car on the road with you. I encourage you to get involved on a local level or go even further with it, find out what you can do to make your area a safe place for cyclist to ride. As cyclist we are to follow the same laws as a vehicle, this includes stop lights and stop signs, yes you may have to unclip. Just consider it practice and a good time to stretch your legs.

Now that I have that out of my system, let me also encourage everyone to come out and join us for one of our group rides. Just check out our Event Calendar for ride specifics.

I also need to apologize, I had said I was going to get a women's team together for 3 State 3 Mountain this year and as luck would have it, my oldest niece is getting married that day. So I chose to see my beautiful niece marry the man of her deams on May 2nd instead of climbing miles of hills. Yes, I know, what was I thinking. :-)

I hope you ALL have a wonderful, challenging and rewarding ride season and I hope to see you on the road or in the store soon!

No comments: